Monday 25 January 2010

Knit Like Your Life Depends on It

Wow. I have been knitting non-stop since January 11th. And I mean non-stop. Sure, I suppose you could count the weekend I spent clearing out and cleaning up my Glasgow flat in preparation for the incoming subletters as a knitting break, but that would hardly be fair.

I have won a £2000 Professional Development grant from the Scottish Arts Council to attend a 12 week workshop at Knit-1, a knitwear design company in Brighton, England. At first, I was completely in shock that I had won. I found out that I had gotten the funding the Friday before the Monday morning the course started. That was a bit of an awkward sentence, forgive me. Anyway, I screamed my head off into the telephone, like an American teenager might do when calling into a radio station giveaway upon finding out they are the 11th caller and the winner of a pair of Justin Timberlake concert tickets. I think the Scottish woman on the end of the line was a bit taken aback by my obvious lack of (British) reserve.

I'm entering my third week of the course today and I know I have a bit of catching up to do. I've finally found a suitable place to live, which fortunately for my love of long lie ins is directly across the street from my course, but not so fortunate for my derriere. I have also been reunited with the World Wide Web, which was a sorely missed friend over the last 2 weeks. Anyway. I'm not quite sure what I will tell you all each week, all I can do is assure you that I will try to keep you all up to date on all the things I'm learning, which I am sure you'll see filtering down to my future collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment